UNIT – 5
Secondary Education: Concerns & Issues
5.1 Secondary School Stage: It’s Linkage With Primary & Higher Secondary Stages of Education.
5.2 Aims of Secondary School Stages of Education.
5.3 Universalization of Secondary School Stages of Education: It’s Status.
5.3.(i) Quantitative Expansion.
5.3.(ii) Issues in Secondary School Stages of Education: Privatization, Vocationalization.
5.3.(ii) A. Privatizations of Education.
5.3.(ii) B. Vocationalization of Education.
5.3.(iii) A. Reforms in Secondary School Stages Education: Curriculum.
5.3.(iii) B. Reforms in Secondary School Stages Education: Pedagogical.
5.3.(iii) C. Reforms in Secondary School Stages Education: Examinations.
5.4 Rashtriya Madhyamika Siksha Abhiyan (RMSA): Goals & Policy.
Intervention for Quality Secondary School Stages of Education.
- Rashtriya Madhyamika Siksha Abhiyan (RMSA), National Mission for Secondary Education, is a central sponsored scheme.
- This RMSA is provided by Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
- Main aim of RMSA for the development of secondary education in public schools throughout India.
Planning Secondary Education – Reasons
- Day-to-day, there are more new necessary needs to develop in education field.
- Since, National Policy on Education (NPE), 1986 has been no more changes.
- Also in Ninth Plan having structure and organization of the secondary and higher secondary school systems has no change.
- To minimize the various disparities and integration to important curriculum, vocationalization and employment-oriented, it needs to re-planned.
- As it will come with importance to expanding and diversifying the open learning system, teacher training with information and communication technology (ICT)
- Free education and hostel facilities for girls and integrated education for the disabled children also brought into analysis.
- As it visions to make good quality education with accessible and affordable to the all young persons.
- To ensure that all secondary schools have physical facilities with fulfilled teaching staff.
- Have to supply at least according to the prescribed standards thriugh financial support in case of Government Local Body and Government aided schols.
- In case of other schools the facilities should be appropriate regulatory mechanism.
- To improve access to secondary schooling to all young persons required norms through proximate location.
- The distance range of secondary schools within 5 KMs and higher secondary schools within 7 to 10 KMs.
- To provide efficient and safe transport arrangements residential facilities.
- In hilly and difficult areas relaxed by residential schools may be set up.
- To ensure that no child is deprived of secondary education of satisfactory quality due to gender, socio-economic, disability and other barriers.
- To improve quality of secondary education resulting in enhancing intellectual, social and cultural learning.
- To ensure that all students pursuing secondary education of good quality.
Important Physical Facilities – Provided by RMSA
- Additional Classrooms.
- Art and Craft Room.
- Toilet Blocks.
- Drinking Water Provisions.
- Residential Hostels for Teachers in Remote Areas.
- To Provide Additional Teachers.
- Training of Teachers.
- Science Laboratories.
- ICT Enabled Education.
- Curriculum Reforms.
- Teaching Learning Reforms.
Important Equity interventions – Under RMSA Scheme
- Special focus n micro planning.
- Preference to Ashram Schools for up gradation.
- Preference to areas with concentration of SC/ST/Minority for opening schools.
- Special enrollment drive for the weaker section.
- More female teachers in the schools.
- Separate toilet blocks for girls.
Planning for Children With Special Needs (CWSN)
The persons with disabilities ACT, 1995 the education for CWSN received as with,
- Free access towards education.
- Allotted lands for certain purposes.
- Non-discrimination in transports.
- Financial incentive for research.
- Capacity building among teachers for children.
Role of RMSA
In school must having the following promotions,
- Science Laboratories
- Environmental education
- Promotion of Yoga
- Population Education Project
- International Mathematics
- Science Olympiads
- In-service training for teacher
- Research inputs